Getting Help and Helping Yourself

So you’ve got a problem, but what are you going to do? Whilst Trading Standards deals with the criminal side of complaints, in a civil dispute the onus will be on you to take further action. This can range from trying to return goods to the place you bought them from or writing an official letter of complaint, to launching a case in the small claims court.

This section of the site provides information on what to do in order to try and settle a civil dispute, such as templates for writing letters of complaint, gathering evidence for your claim and the process of going to the small claims court.

What Does Being a Consumer Mean?

We are always hearing the term ‘Consumer’ being bandied about – but what does it actually mean? Find out more here.

What Is The Difference Between Civil & Criminal Law?

You may also be confused about the difference between civil and criminal law, so we have info to help clear that up for you.

Common Problems

Does a retailer have to take back a jumper that’s the wrong size? What do I do if I have a dispute with an internet retailer? You can find info about some common consumer disputes and the action you can take here.

Writing a Complaint Letter

If your initial attempts to settle a dispute fail, your next course of action may be to write a formal letter of complaint. But what info should you include, and how long does a trader have to respond? You can find out more here, along with template complaint letters.

Making a Small Claims Case

If all else fails, you may be thinking about taking a trader to court. However there might be other courses of action, such as mediation, available to you. Although if you do end up going to court, how does that work? You can find out more about that here.