Better Business For All
What is Better Business for All (BBfA)?
It’s a local partnership between businesses, business support and regulators and across Devon & Somerset to promote local economic prosperity, whilst maintaining public protection. BBfA aims to improve how regulatory services are delivered in Devon & Somerset and to show how working with your local regulators can save you time and money, improve your competitiveness and help you grow your business.
It’s also about encouraging more businesses to seek advice from local regulators by highlighting the benefits of regulation to business, without fear of enforcement activity. And it’s about ensuring that regulatory staff better understand how businesses operate and the pressures you face.
BBfA is part of a national government initiative to reduce the regulatory burden on business. It is endorsed by Regulatory Delivery, which is part of the Department for Business Innovation and Skills.
BBfA is not a short term project but a better way of working, which is mutually beneficial in times of austerity and beyond. The Partnership is passionate about making a culture change between businesses and regulators, which encourages the building of trust to establish good working relationships.
The Heart of the South West BBfA Partnership have successfully brought together representatives from 13 District Authorities, 2 County Councils, 2 Unitary Authorities the Fire & Rescue Services and a host of other regulatory and business support organisations, including Devon, Somerset & Torbay Trading Standards.
The programme is being led by a steering group which includes local businesses, the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership, Federation of Small Business, Regulatory Delivery, Economic Development and representatives from a cross section of regulatory services in Devon & Somerset (including Environmental Health, Licensing, Trading Standards and Fire & Rescue).
The Partnership are determined to influence a continued change within regulation to ensure we have the right attitudes and behaviours to support local businesses; actively listening and embracing negative feedback from consultation and identifying new ways of working to turn the negatives into positives.
What’s in it for me?
- BBfA is business-focused, using business-led improvements to create better regulation, support business growth and create a level playing field for businesses
- A positive relationship between business and regulators is crucial to reducing both the perceived and real regulatory burden on business.
- Listening to businesses’ needs and acting on it in an open and transparent way to help shape the way support is provided by local regulators
- Making sure you comply with the law will help your business be successful while protecting your customers and your reputation.
- We want to create an environment where businesses feel confident to seek advice from local regulators without fear of attracting enforcement activity.
- Regulators are a source of free, impartial and up-to-date support and advice for businesses
- We recognise that compliant businesses can be at a disadvantage if a more formal enforcement approach is not taken with non-compliant businesses. It is important that regulators are consistent and continue to take enforcement action when necessary in a fair and transparent way. This ensures both a level playing field for businesses as well as public protection.
Did you know?
- There are over 64,000 businesses across Devon & Somerset
- Devon & Somerset Regulators have more than 40,000 contacts with businesses each year (face to face/phone/email)
- The vast majority of these contacts are to offer advice and guidance to help businesses comply with the law
- Following a recent consultation with 198 local businesses 95% agreed that if their business was found to be non-compliant they would be concerned that this would affect their reputation with customers.
2015 Business Perception Survey
Early in 2015 the HotSW BBfA Partnership conducted a business perception survey about regulation