If you are starting a new business or taking over an existing business in Devon, Plymouth, Somerset or Torbay, we want to help you get everything right from the beginning.
Our guidance on consumer rights and fair trading provides a good starting point for any new business. We also recommend that all business owners look at our business advice and guidance.
For more complex requirements we can offer tailored, paid-for support to help you start or develop your business. By coming to us, you can invest in compliance confidently knowing you’re receiving advice from the experts who enforce the legislation. Fill in our new business enquiry form and one of our officers will be in touch to discuss your individual needs and provide a quote.
If necessary we can even arrange a visit to your premises to discuss your products and selling practices.
How we can help you – Buy With Confidence
We want to champion honest businesses who care about their customers, so once you have been trading for six months, you can apply for our good trader scheme, Buy With Confidence. As a member you get:
- a public profile on the Buy With Confidence website used by the public to find dependable businesses
- support and advice from Trading Standards including legal updates, access to mediation and a detailed compliance audit for peace of mind
- a fixed annual membership fee rather than a per-hour cost
- permission to use the Buy With Confidence logo and say you’re ‘Trading Standards Approved’
- membership of a scheme supported and promoted by over 50 Trading Standards services and local authorities
- to be part of a growing community and enjoy member benefits and events.