Food Guidance

The ABCs of the Food Information Regulation

The regulations surrounding the labelling of food changed in December 2014, with EU Food Information Regulation 1169/2011 (FIR) replacing the Food Labelling Regulations 1996. This affects all Food Business Operators, who now need to comply with the new rules. We’ve produced a page with guidance and links to other useful resources, that will help you get to grips with the new laws.

A Guide to Starting up a Catering Business, Cafe or Restaurant

The Food Standards Agency have produced a useful guide for anyone in the process of setting up a cafe, restaurant or catering businesses with information on legal compliance and good practice advice. To view the Guide, follow this link. All food businesses must also remember that they need to be registered with their local district council before they start trading.

Making Nutritional Or Health Claims

While certain claims about the nutritional benefits of foods are permitted, these are heavily regulated and you need to be very careful about what claims you make. We’ve got guidance on what you must do to comply with The Nutrition & Health Claims Regulations (pdf).

Food Labelling Guidance for Cake Makers

If you run a business making and selling cakes from your own market stall or premises, or you are thinking of doing so, please see our Cake Makers Guidance Leaflet image (pdf).

QUID explained

As a food producer, working out Quantative Ingredients Declarations for your products (that is, the way the quantity of different ingredients should be shown on the packaging) can be quite difficult, especially if you are new to the trade or branching out into sales of foods that require labelling. Courtesy of Hampshire Trading Standards, we are pleased to offer a simple QUID Guidance Sheet with calculation examples to assist you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further advice or wish to have your labels considered by an officer.

Fast Food Toolkit for Indian & Chinese Takeaway Operators

The South West Regional Coordinator for Trading Standards (SWERCOTS) has produced a toolkit for Indian and Chinese food takeaway businesses to assist in making the food sold more healthy. It aims to deliver:

  • Education for Businesses on how to balance the meal in terms of salt and fat and also provides an allergen control checklist
  • Help on adapting the menu (looking at appetisers, mains and desert)
  • Strategies to sell appropriately (display, pricing and marketing)

To view the toolkit, please visit the SWERCOTS Website.

Egg Sellers Quick Reference Guide to Regulations

Depending on the way in which you produce and sell Hen’s Eggs, certain specific regulations may apply.  To make sure you understand the law regarding the sale of eggs, please consider the Defra Quick Refence guide (pdf). Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are an egg producer or seller and you require further advice.

Advice for Organisers of Markets, Shows and Fayres

If you organise a Market or show where traders are invited to set up stalls, it may be worth familiarising yourself with the legal requirements from Trading Standards. You can then ensure your traders are legally compliant promoting consumer satisfaction and reducing your own liability for any issues. We have produced a Guide for Market Organisers (pdf) in relation to Food Legislation and hope that you find it useful.

Food Standards Agency

The Food Standards Agency is responsible for food safety and food hygiene across the UK. Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards works with the FSA to help ensure all food sold in the area is safe, properly labelled and within the law. The FSA website has more information about the legislation and regulation surrounding food, which producers and sellers ought to know.

Food Guidance Leaflets

We have a range of other useful leaflets, filled with handy information

Get In Touch

If you are a business that produces or sells food and you have any questions, please contact us. If you get things wrong you not only risk prosecution but you could be putting public health at risk, so let us help you get it right first time.

Food business operators must register their premises with the Environmental Health service local to them at least 28 days prior to opening (registration is free). For more information contact your local district council EH department.