Skip to content


Livestock hauliers


You must have a valid transporter authorisation if your business transports vertebrate animals on journeys longer than 65 kilometres (about 40 miles). The type of authorisation you need depends on the total duration of your journeys:

More information can be found in our transporting livestock by road advice leaflet as well as at GOV.UK – animal transportation documents.

Animal welfare

Guidance on the welfare regulations surrounding live animal transport can be found at GOV.UK – Live transport: welfare regulations.

This includes legal controls, staff training requirements and advice to help prevent unnecessary suffering of farm animals during transit.

You can also read our advice leaflets which outline the principal requirements for livestock transport vehicles, offer guidance on farm animal transport journey times and information on the welfare of animals during transport.