Registration & Licensing

Explosives and Fireworks

Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards licences individuals and companies who wish to store up to 2000kg (net weight) of explosives, including fireworks and shotgun cartridges. You cannot sell fireworks unless you are licensed.

Fireworks are by far the most common type of explosives that may be offered for sale, but they can only be sold during four limited periods in the year:

  • October 15 to November 10
  • December 26 to December 31
  • On the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately preceding it
  • On the day of Diwali (Hindu New Year) and the 3 days immediately preceding it

If you wish to sell outside of these times you must apply for a licence to sell fireworks all year round (this is separate from being licensed to sell fireworks during the four times of year mentioned above). Certain categories of fireworks cannot legally be sold to members of the public. Further details can be found in our guidance notes (see below). You can get licensing forms by following the links, but be sure to read our guidance notes before you submit an application.

Please note that it is illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under the age of 18.

Further information can be found on the Health & Safety Executive website.

For more information or guidance, contact us.