Farming Standards

Animal Movement

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to comply with livestock legislation. In this section you will find links to view and print out movement books. We also have information on how legislation affects you and what you need to do to comply.

Livestock Hauliers

It is essential that those transporting animals on journeys of more than 65km (around 40 miles) as part of an economic activity hold a valid transporter authorisation.

Farmers, transporters and attendants using road vehicles for transporting farm animals, which includes poultry and horses, in connection with an economic activity must have received appropriate training. They must also hold a certificate of competence issued by an independent body nominated by Defra.

An animal transport certificate (ATC) must be completed for every journey unless an exemption is met. Read more.

Information For Farmers On Animal Movement

Most farm animals now need to have their movements recorded, and Trading Standards may want to check that you are doing this correctly. You can find out more about the law and what we expect Devon & Somerset farmers to do at Information for farmers on animal movements.

The General Licence

All movements of deer, sheep, goats, pigs and cattle are controlled by the general licence issued by Defra. A six or 20 day standstill period applies after an animal is moved onto a holding. Read more.

Animal Movement Record Books

Download movement record books for sheep, goats, cattle, pigs and other animals.