Animal Movement

Information For Farmers On Animal Movements

Movement records must be kept for the following farmed animals:

You don’t have to own animals to be a keeper. You’re a sheep, goat, pig or deer keeper if you have responsibility for the day-to-day care and control of these animals. This includes a single animal kept temporarily or as a pet.

Registering New Flocks/Herds

If you want to keep farm animals – or apply for an agricultural subsidy – you need to get a County Parish Holding (CPH) number from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA). This includes farm animals kept as pets.

You must register land where you keep farm animals with the Rural Payments Agency (RPA, tel 03000 200 301) within one month of starting to keep the animals on the land.

The RPA will give your holding a unique 9-digit County Parish Holding (CPH) number, for example: (C)11 / (P)222 / (H)3333.

You must then tell the Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) what you are keeping. The APHA will give you a unique flock or herd mark, which is a six-digit number used to identify your flock or herd that is linked to your main CPH.

General Licence (six and 20 day standstill)

All farmed animals must be moved in accordance with the conditions of the general licence. Find out more about the requirements.