Information For Farmers On Animal Movements



Before you take responsibility for cattle, bison or buffalo as a keeper, you must register with the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS). You must record all movements of cattle, bison or buffalo on and off your holding and report them to the BCMS. Further Information can be found here.


As a cattle keeper, you must keep a holding register for your cattle. The register includes specific information about each of your animals. Holding registers must be kept for 10 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last entry was made.

You can keep your records on paper, a computer or a combination of both. The law does not specify the form of the holding register.


Each animal needs one primary and one secondary ear tag, both showing the same unique individual identification number.

The primary tag must be a yellow plastic distance-readable flag tag. It can go in either ear.