Farming Standards

Farming Standards Contacts

Farming Standards legislation places duties on various different bodies who together provide a framework to support the legal management of livestock.

Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards’ duties include:

  • Providing advice and assistance to the Devon, Somerset and Torbay farming industry in relation to animal health, welfare, disease control and feed & food hygiene at primary production.
  • Advising and monitoring the identification and traceability of livestock
  • Monitoring and reporting breaches of the standstill period
  • Advising and monitoring the welfare of livestock in transit, at slaughterhouses, at shows and at markets
  • Auditing on farm movement and medicine records
  • Advising and monitoring the welfare of livestock on the farm
  • Monitoring and providing guidance on the storage of feeding stuffs including taking samples for analysis
  • Being ready to provide support during an outbreak of animal disease such as Foot and Mouth, Bluetongue or Avian Flu
  • Testing and updating animal disease contingency plans

Our statutory responsibility relates to the health and welfare of farm livestock at markets, slaughterhouses, in transit, and in relation to disease control measures. We also work with DEFRA to try to ensure the highest standards of welfare are maintained.

To contact us in relation to any of the above, please click here.

Where DEFRA can help:

  • Ear Tagging of Livestock – Best Practice Guidance & Regulation of sale of tags
  • For advice on becoming authorised to transport livestock, you can call the Defra Welfare in Transport Team on 0845 038395
  • Information on Bovine Tuberculosis is available here, for queries you can call the South West TB Farm Advisory Service on 01392 440706
  • For general farmed livestock enquiries call the Defra Helpline number is 03459 335577

Where the the Animal and Plant Health Agency (formerly Animal Health & Veterinary Laboratory Agency) can help:

  • Monitoring & Approval of Import and Export of animals
  • Flock Numbering of Sheep and Goats – Get information on registering a New flock or herd and Grass Keep here
  • Approval and inspection of Animal Gatherings – Apply for a Licence to hold a show or event involving livestock here
  • UK Poultry Register registration is required for anyone keeping 50 or more poultry (includes chicken, geese, ducks, pheasants, emus, and Ostrich etc).  For queries you can telephone 0800 634 1112
  • For Exhibition Licence, Isolation unit and Movement licence error enquiries, you can call the Southwest Regional APHA  on 03000200301

Where the Rural Payments Agency can help:

  • If you have queries relating to your Single Farm Payment, the Rural Payments Agency can be contacted on 0844 603 7777

Where the British Cattle Movement Service can help:

  • For enquiries regarding general cattle movement, Link Grazing, and how movement registration is affected when keepers move stock to rented grazing, the BCMS Helpline number is 0345 050 1234. For hearing impaired (Typelink) 18001 0345 050 1234.
  • CTS Movement self service line 0345 011 1212

Where the Equine Passport Register can help:

  • If you need to apply for a horse passport (all equines must have a passport to identify them), you can get guidance here
  • The Helpline for Horse Identification is 03459335577

Where ARAMS (Animal Reporting And Movement Service) can help:

  • For information and help on the movement of sheep, goats and deer, head to the ARAMS website or call 0844 5730137 (please note, since April 1st, 2014, ARAMS has replaced the AML system administered by your local authority).

Where BPEX/eALM2 can help:

  • For information and help on the movement of pigs, head to the BPEX/eAML2 website or call 0844 3358400

Where the South West TB Advisory Service Can help: