Weights and Measures
Weights for Hire
We have up to 2 tonne of weights available to hire. The cast iron weights are mainly 10kg but there are some 5kg as well. The weights are calibrated to M1 accuracy level and will be supplied with a UKAS calibration certificate giving traceability to national standards.
1. Weight Hire costs: £100 + VAT per tonne or part thereof. For hire of weights below 500kg please contact the metrology laboratory for a quote.
2. Bookings must be requested a minimum of 5 working days before the hire date and then confirmed in writing prior to the hire with both a purchase order number and VAT number provided.
3. The minimum hire period is 2 days; weights can be collected after 9am on the first day and should be returned by 4pm on the 2nd day unless otherwise agreed in writing with the Metrology Laboratory. The hire can be extended at a discounted rate of 50% for a further 2 days. Please contact the Metrology Laboratory to discuss costs if you require weights for longer than this.
4. Weights are held at the Somerset laboratory site: Trading Standards, West Buckland Road, Chelston, Wellington TA21 9HP and should be collected from / returned to this address unless otherwise agreed in writing (there may be an additional charge for collection from our laboratory at Exeter). A suitable vehicle should be used which will not result in overloading in accordance with the Road Traffic Act. Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards Service shall not be liable for overloaded vehicles used by the hirer. A public weighbridge is available at the site if you wish to check your loaded vehicle weight.
5. The hirer is responsible for loading/unloading the hired weights to and from the storage area and must provide sufficient staff to ensure that this is carried out safely and efficiently, ensuring that staff are properly equipped with protective equipment necessary for the manual handling of weights – please note there is no forklift available on site.
6. The hirer will be charged for lost or damaged weights at the current replacement value per item.
7. A chargeable delivery / collection service is available – please contact the Metrology Laboratory to discuss.
Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss.