Registration & Licensing

hazard-symbolsCertain areas of business require licensing and registration, especially if you are dealing with hazardous materials, or trading in areas that are potentially open to abuse.

Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards deals with licensing and registration of local businesses in areas such as petroleum, explosives (including fireworks) and livestock movement documentation, as well as offering advice to those businesses wishing to offer credit.


Find guidance on fireworks for retailers, along with information on applying to be licenced to sell and store fireworks, or to store other explosives or shotgun cartridges. Find out more on Explosives and fireworks page.

Petroleum, Diesel and LPG

Anyone who stores and dispenses petroleum, whether selling to the public or not, is required to be licensed. Find out more on the Petroleum, diesel and LPG page.


If you think your business may require a Consumer Credit Licence (for example if you wish to offer credit to finance the purchase of goods or services), or you would like to know more about Credit businesses’ obligations see our Credit Page.

Livestock Documentation

Visit our farming standards pages to obtain the documentation you need to keep your livestock. Find out more on out Animal movement pages.